Friday 8 February 2008

Suburbia - Part I - Complications

Welcome to Part I of Suburbia. We are in a different location today, meeting a few new characters. The others will be back, but I'm afraid not this chapter.

"Have a good day at work, honey." Juliet smiled as Andrew pulled her in for a quick peck as he left the front door. The breeze rustled Andrews hair and Juliet placed a delicate hand on his clean-shaven cheek, before taking a dark lock of his hair between her thumb and forefinger and placing it back into its rightful place. Andrew flashed his white teeth in a grin and placed his hands on Juliet's waist.

Juliet knew that Andrew didn't want to leave her home at this crucial point, but he had no choice; work was beckoning him and if he didn't turn up his job could be in jeopardy.

Juliet leaned in and rested her head gently on Andrews shoulder, snuggling her nose into his ear as she did so.

"I'll try." Andrew grinned as he received affectionate but playful attentions from Juliet. "I'll miss you though." Juliet giggled slightly as she buried her face into his neck lightly pressing her lips on his sensitive spots, while Andrew sighed in ecstacy. "Maybe when I get home we can spend a few hours together and - you know." Juliet grinned as she gave him one last kiss and pulled away, his arms still wrapped around her waist.

"That would be nice." Juliet paused, Andrew looking intently into her eyes, and lightly ran a finger down his nose. "But to come back home you actually have to..." A lightbulb appeared above Andrews head as his eyes widened as his mouth formed a silent 'oh!'. "Yeah." Juliet giggled. Andrew kissed her again and ran down the steps before turning back and kissing her again. "Go!" Juliet grinned as Andrew ran to the car and slung his briefcase into the passenger seat.

Juliet stood on the porch as she watched Andrew clamber into the driver's seat. She couldn't see him as he closed the door because the sun was reflecting from windows and into her eyes, but she could tell he was looking back at her as he began to pull away. She gave him a light wave, her delicate fingers pointing to the bluest of skies.Still smiling she waited until she could only see the red speck in the distance which was his car. Then she glanced up at the sky as if in silent prayer and turned to go back inside.

As she turned to go back into the house her smile evaporated from her face at the prospect of what she would have to face as soon as she entered.

Andrew and Juliet had recently faced a lot of troubles. Andrew's failing marriage with his ex-wife, Meygan, led him into Juliet's arms when he met her at a bar after a long day at work. One thing led to another and Andrew's failing marriage completely disintegrated and his and Juliet's relationship reached a whole new level of commitment. Juliet moved in, leaving a highly disgruntled family member.

Andrew's daughter, Alexis.

Alexis was a young girl who saw her family ripped apart by her father's infidelity. Naturally, she blames her father's new girlfriend who caused him to stray from her devoted mother and housewife. Alexis also knows, from listening on the stairs, that her mother refused to take Alexis with her, saying that she was better off growing up in a home she was familiar with. This left Alexis in a confused state, rejected from her mother, less attention from her father who is now devoted to his new girlfriend. All Alexis wants is for her family to be fixed back together. But that could take a miracle.

Alexis saw Juliet step backwards to come inside the house and turned away from the window as she fiddled with a lone pawn on the chessboard, while fixing a scowl on her face.

Juliet approached Alexis with an uneasy feeling in the pit of her stomach, she knew that the young girl detested her very existence, that she blamed her for tearing her parents marriage apart. But Juliet sympathised, she knew if she were in the same position that she would also be acting in the same immature way.

"Alexis?" She stammered as she looked the little girl in the eye. "Are you ready for school? The bus should be here in a minute, or if you want I can take you in the car and we can have a little bonding time?" She tried to lighten her voice and make herself seem excited at the prospect of spending more time with the little girl. When the little girl said nothing, Juliet began to get frustrated. "I know that you hate me Alexis." The little girl rolled her eyes and made a clicking noise with her tongue. "But I wish you would speak to me... you don't understand the situation of your parents' marriage, it was failing before I even met your father."

Alexis furrowed her eyebrows. "You think that I am going to be believe anything you say? I saw my mother walk out on my father the day she found out about you! And yes, I do hate you - I won't deny it. You tore my family apart!" Alexis throat was clogged and her eyes brimmed with tears. "I won't ever forgive you and I won't ever speak to you again! Oh, and I won't go to school. So you will have to call them up and tell them that I am sick." Juliet breathed a heavy sigh as her head began to ache.

"I will do no such thing! You need your education..."

"I need my mother, but you..."

"Alexis that is the end of it - you are going to school and I don't want to hear another word against it."

"I'd like to see you try and make me... there is no way that I am going and there is no way that you will get me on that bus."

"I'll call your father, he will..." Juliet knew she should not have resorted to this, it showed that she had no authority over the little girl and Alexis knew it too.

Juliet turned away as the little girl stormed up the stairs and out of sight. Juliet closed her eyes taking deep breaths, trying to ignore the now, heavy thumping on the back of her skull. She was out of control of the situation and she had to regain some authority, preferably before the school bus turned up outside.

Andrew drove up the many ramps in the packed multi-storey car park looking for an empty space, eventually he spotted one and quickly squeezed into the tiny spot. He pulled the handbrake up firmly and switched the engine off, the woman's monotone voice from the radio was silenced and Andrew took a deep breath as he thought of Juliet at home.

He cleared his throat and checked his appearance in his rearview mirror before taking his briefcase from the passenger seat and lightly stepping out of his immobilised vehicle.

The smell of petrol wafted up his nose as he stepped out into the damp and chilly car park, where a few people were clambering out of their cars to go into town. Andrew slammed the door shut behind him and set his briefcase on the floor beside his car so he could straighten his tie.

As he looked around he saw a close friend approaching him from the opposite row of cars.

Julian and Andrew had been friends ever since they started working together a few years ago, Julian had also been best friends with Meygan, Andrews ex-wife, since high school, but he did not begrudge Andrew for his lack of judgement since he had been aware of the failing marriage for quite a while after hearing both sides of the story from Andrew and Meygan.

They greeted each other with a warm but firm handshake.

"Long time no see." Julian exclaimed as he grasped Andrews hand. "I was missing you, I don't get sent on very good assignments without you... Anyway, I know why you needed time off, but boy did you take time off..."

"Yeah. Ok, Julian. I missed you too, but I have to make sure that Alexis doesn't murder Juliet in her sleep." Julian laughed but Andrew looked serious. "I'm being serious bro, they detest each other, and I know Juliet tries but Alexis just wants her mum, I don't know why Meygan refused to take her." Julian lost his smile and tried to look understanding as the screech of tyres was heard on the storey below.


"I see what you mean, mate. But what the hell is with your suit?" Julian laughed again, a heartfelt laugh, a heart-warming laugh. "I mean, you aren't exactly dressed for the occassion, no doubt we will just be sitting in the office again." Andrew playfully gave Julian a dig in the arm.

"Well when you get promoted and become someone's SUPERIOR and detective superintendent there are some benefits..." Julian raised his eyebrows."And they are?"

"Well a higher wage packet and do you know what that means?... It means that I can buy snazzy suits and wear them to work." Andrew stooped and picked up his briefcase.

He looked Julian in the eye and began to laugh. "The chicks dig it too!" They both laughed and Andrew took his keys out of his pocket and pointed them at the car as he pushed the button that set the central locking and alarm.
"I guess we'd better get going then, you don't want to be late after all the time off you have already had."

Julian turned around and Andrew followed as they headed towards the elevators. Julian grinned as his eye caught the woman walking in front of them.

"She sure is fine. Wonder if she wants to come and hang out with us at the station. I mean, look at that ar..." Andrew scoffed.

"Yes I'm sure that the best thing she can think of to do this morning is sit in the office watching us do paperwork, I expect she'd have a ball!" Julian waggled his finger in Andrews face.

"She might. You never know it could just be right up her street." Andrew looked Julian in the eye as another waft of petrol filled his nose.

"Yep I'm sure it is. Why don't you go and ask her?" Julian closed his mouth and walked quietly out of the car park.

A short while later and Andrew was waiting outside H&M for Julian to come out of the public toilets nearby. The street was paved with black, and was rather quiet but Andrew just put it down to the fact that it was pretty early in the morning for lots of people to be out and about.

The sun was already hot and it pierced Andrew eyes as his phone rang.

"Hello? Andrew Cooper speaking." Andrew heard the soft giggle of Juliet and a heavy sigh on the end of the phone, and he knew something was wrong.

"Andrew it's me, Juliet." His heart jumped into his throat as he thought the worst; something had happened to Alexis.

"What is it honey? Is everything alright? Alexis is Ok isn't she?" Juliet's heavy sigh on the other end of the phone made his heart stop for a brief moment and he held his breath in anticipation.

"She's fine. But she is refusing to go to school and she won't listen to me. I didn't know what else to do and I know you're busy with work and everything but I can't force her to do anything - I'm not her mother." Juliet sounded on the verge of tears and Andrew had no idea what to do.

He held the phone closer to his ear as he closed his eyes and thought about what he could do."Honey? Are you still there?" Juliet's tingling voice echoed down the phone soothing Andrews heart.

"Yes, sweetheart, I'm still here. I suppose we can just let her have the day off today, because there is no way I am going to be able to rush back home now, but I will be having words with her when I get back and she won't ever refuse to go to school again." Juliet stayed silent and Andrew could tell she had tensed up, fearful of having to spend a whole day with his nuisance of a daughter.

"It's only one day Juliet, I'm sure you can handle it, try and bond with her. Once you get to know each other..." Juliet's tone had changed now, it was shrill and her throat was clogged as she tried to hold back the tears.
"I've tried bonding with her Andrew... I keep trying. But she detests me, she wants you and her mother back together and she would do anything to get me out of the way. She blames me Andrew! She blames me for your mistake!" Andrew frowned as he fought to hold back his own tears.
"It wasn't a mistake Juliet. I love you. I will speak to Alexis when I get home and I will explain everything that happened between me and her mother. I will sort this Juliet. It will just take some time, everyone who knows you loves you and it will be the same way with Alexis soon... I have to go now honey, Julian is back. It's time to head to the office. I love you. See you when I get home. Bye."
"Bye." Andrew hung up and turned to face Julian.

"Family problems!" he said rolling his eyes. "Reasons to stay single." he said holding out his hand as if it were a sheet of paper. "Reason number one: To avoid the problems of a womans everyday life. Reason number two..."

"Ok, Julian. I am really not in the mood anymore." Julian gave Andrew an apologetic look as they headed towards the office, the woman they had previously been following had now disappeared.

"Alexis giving Juliet a hard time?" Andrew nodded.

"Yep, and I can't do anything about it because I'm stuck here and it's not like I can just go home otherwise I'll get the sack. Why can't everything just fall into place like it was supposed to?" Julian comforted his friend by patting him on the shoulder.

"That's divorce my friend."

Violet looked up as Andrew entered the office. She watched him run his large, firm hands through his dark hair and her heart fluttered. Her face flushed a deep red and she continued to look at him until he had reached his desk and started ruffling through paperwork.

As she turned her head back to her computer screen she began to think about things she could say to him. "Good to see you back. No too vague." She told herself. "I need to say something where he will get the hint. I would have thought he had already worked it out by now." Violet hadn't thought of anything to say, but her feet began acting of their own accord and she found herself walking straight towards Andrew.

Violet fixed a smile on her face as she approached him, he looked up and smiled back before looking down again and rustling through leaves of paper.

"Hi Andrew. I hear you are single again." Andrew looked up, saw the hopeful look in her eyes and felt a deep sense of guilt; not because he had ever given her a reason to think he felt the same way about her, but because he knew she was wasting her time in chasing after him.

"Hi, how's work been?" Andrew racked his brains, trying to think of something to say without hurting her feelings.

"Well it's been Ok, I guess. Work is work." Violet gave an awkward laugh. "But going out at night and meeting new people is nice, a benefit of living in town. Speaking of which have you met anyone new?" Andrew, relieved that she asked the question and that he was obliged to give her an answer without feeling so bad about it, smiled and looked up.

"Er, yes. I have been seeing someone for a few months now, and she has moved in to my place. Things are going good, what about you?" Andrew sighed in relief at the lack of hurt evident in her eyes, she was still smiling, but he could sense her disappointment.

"Oh, I've met a few new people, but none of them have the longevity factor." Violet refrained from saying 'unlike you' but only just. "It's good that you have gotten over Meygan so quickly, though, Alexis must not be happy with the new arrangement."
"Well, no, actually she isn't." Andrew stated, scratching his head awkwardly.
"Naturally, she probably hates... what's her name? You never said." Andrew was surprised at how interested she seemed in his personal life especially considering he knew she would be jealous, but told her anyway.
"Er, Juliet."
"Well, I suppose Alexis hates Juliet doesn't she? Just give them time to get used to one another, make a few changes and I expect everything will turn out Ok." Violet gave Andrew a reassuring smile, and watched him staring at her with a stunned look on his face.

"How do you know all of this stuff? How can you be so sure everything will be alright?" Violet's eyes glazed over as memories shone in front of her.

"It's a long story."

"Well we are only doing paperwork today so we have all the time in the world." Violet knew that this was a chance she should take, opening herself up to Andrew could only make them closer.

"Well, when I was younger I went through the same thing with my..."

"Andrew mate, Martin wants to see you in his office." Julian had trodden over and stated this with an angry look on his face.

"Oh sorry Violet, maybe you can tell me some other time?" Andrew started making his way to the door of their boss's office. "Julian aren't you coming?"

"This new assignment isn't going to be you and me this time, mate." Andrew raised his eyebrows in confusion and headed to Martin's office.

As Andrew walked away from her, Violet closed her eyes, pursed her lips and let out a deep breath as she tried to rid herself of all her frustration. She had come close - so close, to opening up to Andrew and now she was back to where she started. When she opened her eyes again Julian was standing in front of her, watching her, and she felt her blood boil.

"Couldn't you just have waited a few more minutes before sending him to Martin's office?" She hissed at him - Andrew was still within earshot so Violet tried to muffle her voice. "You know how I feel about him, we were just getting to know each other on a more personal level!" Violet just looked at Julian furiously as she waited for him to reply.

"Violet. I know this is none of my business, and yes, I do know how you feel about Andrew, but it can't happen. His previous relationship was already destroyed because of him straying from his wife, you have to respect that he felt extremely guilty for that, and he would never do it again. He is now in another serious relatonship and I don't want to see that destroyed either." Violet looked at Julian flabbergasted.

"I'm serious about this too, Julian. I have been in love with Andrew since High School and that is why I followed his career path. You really think I like this job? I have to get him to notice me otherwise it will all have been for nothing! My life will have been wasted chasing a love that I can never have. Please, Julian, understand..."

"I do understand Violet, but you should start chasing a new dream now, because the one you are chasing is pulling away from you and you are being left behind." Violet folded her arms and furrowed her eyebrows as Julian walked away from her and back to his desk.


As Julian began to dial a number into his telephone, Violet approached Tara, who stood by her desk furiously rummaging through her drawers.

"Hey Tara, what are you looking for?" Tara jumped as she stood up quickly, startled by Violet's presence.

"Oh, just a stapler, I think I've lost it." Tara didn't seem too sure about what she was saying, Violet thought. 'Oh well' she told herself 'she can't be up to much it's just Tara.'

"Oh right, you can borrow mine later. I wanted to talk with you that's all." Tara looked up into Violet's face, confused. "How well do you know Andrew?" Tara's eyes lit up as Andrews name was mentioned.

"Oh he's very nice. I know him quite well, he's very polite and always says hello."

"Yes but what do you know about him?" Violet persisted, annoyed at Tara's lack of understanding.

"Well I guess not much more than you. He's always talking to you. Surely you know everything there is to know about him by now." Tara flushed red as she realised how little she knew Andrew. She fumbled with her hands as Violet just looked at her.
"Well I guess so..."
"You like him don't you?" Tara blurted out. "Sorry, it's just I see the way you look at him, how you act around him... you do know that he is in a long-term relationship don't you? You won't ever get him." Violet felt her face go red. Could she really be read so easily? Was she an open book? She shook her head and looked at Tara furiously.
"Why does everyone keep saying that? I just need to find out who this Juliet is and what is so great about her."
"Juliet?"
"Yes. Juliet. Wait, do you know a Juliet?" Tara realised she had said to much and shook her head quickly.
"No... I have to get back to work... Can I borrow your stapler?"
"Sure."

Violet turned her back on Tara suspiciously as she watched Andrew close Martin's office door behind him. How she wished she could tell him how she feels about him. 'Maybe he alredy knows!' She said to herself. 'If Tara could tell, surely anyone knows.' Violet flushed a deep red as this thought occured to her, 'maybe he just doesn't want me.' Violet held her head high and sat back down at her desk as her disappointment of being rejected filled her heart.

Clara looked around as the door opened and Andrew walked in with an annoyed look on his face. She was startled at the way she found it difficult to look away from him, only when he came to stand right next to her did she avert her eyes.

"Andrew. I would like you to meet your new partner, Clara." Andrew and Clara looked at each other and Clara lost herself in Andrews dark, deep eyes.

"What about Julian?" Andrew asked, Clara noted the power in his voice and his attitude and realised why he was detective superintendent.

"Julian will be given an office job, you have nothing to worry about, Clara here will keep you focused on the case in question." Andrew looked at Clara again and sized her up. Clara smiled awkwardly as their eyes met and quickly looked back at Martin. Andrew felt his face go red, and he too looked back at Martin.

Martin looked up at Andrew with a serious look on his face.

"The case in question. Right. So we have found a body, her name is, or was, Tracey Watkins. She was strangled to death... you might want to go check the scene out, see if you can't find anything to go on. Julian will look up Tracey's history for you, and you can take Clara with you, I believe she will prove useful. You will need to..." Andrew interrupted his voice forceful and irritated.

"I know the procedures, Martin." Martin frowned and waved Andrew and Clara out of his office.

"Oh, and welcome back to work, Andrew."

To Be Continued...

Thanks for reading and I hope you tune in for the next part and leave a nice comment if you liked it.

5 comments:

S@n said...

Very interesting part 1, I can tell from the introduction and this chapter that it will be a very complex story! Wonderful characters you are introducing, can't really wait for chapter 2..

Great job!

Astral Faery said...

I've always been amazed by people who can have several characters in a story and give them not only believable personalities, but believable circumstances, as well. Already you've introduced us to many characters, and with the ones in this chapter, you're starting to get a little deeper and showing us their lives.

Looks like a lot of women are swooning for Andrew (I can see why!) It will be interesting to see how he gets on with Juliet, or will one of these other ladies turn his head?

You have a powerful writing style, always remembering those 'little details' that I always forget about. Your descriptions help paint a very clear picture and compliment your pretty screenshots nicely.

I'm liking this story so far, and look forward to learning more about these people and their lives.

Well done!

scarlet_white said...

Yeah sorry for the delay reading, I just find the situation with his daughter very easy to relate to, divorce is devastating for kids, I thought the detective part of the plot was just a soap opera setting but I will have to wait to see about that, looks like its more complex that it seems, gald there is a chapter 2, I will go read it soon

chardonnay said...

What a wonderful job on this first part. Sly you getting all our curiousity up about the others and then plunging us into completely different situations and people.

Very well written!!

Can't wait to see what else happens. Poor Alexis, torn apart, and so angry. Well, hopefully time will do it's job and ease the way.

Anonymous said...

Amazing! Thrilled about all the new and very unique characters! Love the little drama developing for poor Andrew and his female co-workers, lol! :D Awesome pics, love the clarity, the decor of the lots, the attention to details! Very kool car park btw! Great chapter! :D